The Forgotten General highlights the courage, intelligence and determination of an exceptional New Zealander. Major-General Sir Andrew Russell was a distinguished soldier and a dedicated leader of men. He was among the top-ranked divisional commanders in the British armies that fought on the Western Front in World War I. He has been described as 'the one military commander of genius that New Zealand produced in the twentieth century.
- The Job Search Checklist: Everything You Need to Know to Get Back to Work After a Layoff.
- Andrew Hamilton Russell.
- Climbing and Walking Robots: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots and the Support Technologies for Mobile Machines (CLAWAR 2005)?
- Introduction to Modern Portfolio Optimization with NuOPT S PLUS and S+Bayes!
Yet little of his story is known. Born into pioneer farming stock, Russell's early days were spent on sheep stations in the Hawke's Bay region; he was educated at Harrow and at the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, and later served in the British Army in India and Burma. He was subsequently knighted and given command of the 20,strong New Zealand Division that under his leadership became one of the finest fighting formations on the Western Front.
The Forgotten General
The Forgotten General , however, is not just about a consummate military commander. It also tells the story of the men he led through four unbroken years of war-starting with the raw and inexperienced brigade that arrived on Gallipoli in May and finishing with the lite division at the spearhead of the British counter-offensive that finally ended the war on the Western Front.
Help Centre. Track My Order.
Shop now and earn 2 points per $1
Produced by Kingfisher Films. Source Kingfisher Films. Topics andrew macdonald anzac chris pugsley christopher pugsley dick kerridge egypt first world war freyberg gallipoli hawke's bay hawkes bay jock vennell military new zealand division new zealand on air nz on air passchendaele returned servicemen's association rsa sandhurst sir andrew russell tactician terry kinloch tunanui western front world war 1 world war i world war one ww1 wwi.
Share this video.
Which size would you like? Which clip would you like to embed? Fixed size Responsive. Profiles Biographies and details of cast and crew from the NZ screen industry.
- Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skills for Self-Sufficient Living.
- Synaptic Plasticity and the Mechanism of Alzheimers Disease;
- Word Annoyances.
- Motion in Games: Second International Workshop, MIG 2009, Zeist, The Netherlands, November 21-24, 2009. Proceedings.
- New Zealand Miltary | Almo Books!
- The Forgotten General: New Zealand's World War I Commander Major-General Sir Andrew Russell.
Interviews Video interviews with cast and crew. Subscribe to our weekly newsletter.
Sign up. Concerned with the future defence of New Zealand he also became dominion president of the National Defence league at the same time. TV Guide Earlier.
- Intrinsic motivation and self-determination in exercise and sport.
- Guidelines for Use of Glass in Buildings;
- Sir Andrew Hamilton Russell, 'The Forgotten General';
- The Portable Mark Twain;
- The Fall and Rise of the Islamic State;
View the TV Guide. Get Sky.